Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Fredrick Douglass #2

So far, my book has been one of the most interesting I have ever read. Compared to my last post, I have a lot more positive things to say. Starting off with the how the book is 100 percent more interesting, I actually read the book and visualized every scene rather than think about other things. I was surprised at most of the things I read because I would have never imagined that slaves were capable of doing most of the things they did. This is exemplified on page 68,
"Mr. Covey seemed now to think he had me, and could do whatever he pleased; but at this moment-from whence came the spirit I don't know- I resolved to fight; and suiting my action to the resolution , I seized Covey hard by the throat; and as I did so, I rose. He held on to me, and I to him. My resistance was so entirely unexpected, that Covey seemed taken all aback. He trembled like a leaf. This gave me assurance, and I held him uneasy, causing the blood to run where I touched him with the ends of my fingers." 
Mr. Covey had Douglass for only and year and until that year was over, Douglass was to obey and listen to everything Covey said until the one year term was over. After that, Douglass was going to be transferred to another person and serve another one year term. But that is beside the fact, what surprised me is that fact that for the first time a slave stood up for himself. What that shows is that it was a turn in slavery, if not a major turn, it was a turn that counts. In my opinion, I think that even one person that can stand up will eventually lead to a bunch of other slaves standing up. Overall, the book was inspirational and I got a lot out of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment