Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Child Called "It" #1

A Child Called "It" was truly a heart-breaking story. I was surprised at the things that David, the main character did for his mom even though she was a piece of garbage that deserved to eat her children’s diapers. During our lit circle discussion, we talked a lot about abuse rather than the actual story and what the point of it is. I was surprised at how much the people in my group were defending the mother or should I say the abuser.

We talked about the mom and why she went from the perfect mom to an abuser. I did not understand why the mother changes what she calls a "perfect family" and the perfect house to what I would call an orphanage. Their was only one child who was abused and it disgusted everyone in the group. We talked a lot about what happened even after our section. It went from time outs, to smashing David's face in the mirror, to things that a normal mother could never even imagine.

Our understanding was that this was the third worst abuse case. I was rather surprised when I saw that because what could have possibly been worse than burning your son on a stove on purpose. My group and I also figured she was mentally sick because she came up with reasons to beat him. Reasons like "Santa put you on the naughty list" and "You are being held back from the first grade" when the truth of the matter was that she just needed a reason to beat him.

We also discussed how she starved him. In addition, when she "accidently" stabbed him, instead of telling him to sit down and relax, she gives him 10 more minutes to was the dishes. What kind of mother is that? She is insane and is in serious need on mental help. If that were my mother, I would have snitched her out right when it began regardless of what she would have done to me. I respect my mom more than anything but I do not think that abuse is the way to go. So therefore, we concluded that she was a horrible mother and that she deserved nothing but the absolute worse and we were relieved to hear that she was no longer alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment