Thursday, December 16, 2010

Child Called "It" Final

Wow, Child Called "It" is so boring. My entire group talked about was the abuse. Not even once
did we get into the actual meaning of the book. Like, what exactly was the moral? Could there have been a reason why he published it? Obviously yes. So therefore, who did he want as his audience? All of these questions could have made a better conversation. For some reason or another, everyone was obsessing over the abuse and how much he or she hated the mother. I was disappointed at the fact that all we have discussed is abuse, abuse and abuse. It became boring and now the book is extremely dumb and pointless to me.
I brought up the fact that in the last page, David says,
“… and deliver me from evil.”
I thought that it meant he wanted to be a devil child and use his dark side to beat his mother and escape everything. However, since no one in my group was listening, those who were taking notes told me that meant he wanted to be taken away from the evil, which was obviously his mother. I also brought up the fact that the mother might have been torturing David just to make him stronger. Of course, everyone disagreed with me but I still have a feeling that she was just trying to make him stronger. However, after Lhadze did some research, she found out that the mother had been abused. The mother was actually an alcoholic since she was 13. Her parents were divorced which led to her being abused. She was locked in the closet and denied food.
This leads to her overrated behavior towards her son. This is all just a little bit crazy and this is what it connects to, the mother has to take her anger out on someone and found David as an easy target. However, David does not do that, he tries to prevent the abuse.  

This book was probably the best thing that ever happened to me but my discussions were pathetic and I wish we had talked more about the other parts of the book.

1 comment:

  1. i comment on this post!!
    http://sabersalehblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/respond-to-rokhsor.html
    still love ya! n don't get mad!

    ReplyDelete